A three-year-old child has been transported to the Johnson City Medical Center for chemical burns after coming into contact with a chemical that Elizabethton Police Department officers described as “caustic” at the Lynn Ridge apartment complex on Bluefield Avenue.
Authorities say the child suffered burns on its stomach, leg, and arm after touching the chemical, which they believe was stored in a Dr. Enuf bottle. Officers arrived on the scene to find the broken bottle near the spilled chemical.
At this time, authorities said they could not confirm the contents of the bottle.
Authorities agree, however, that whatever the chemical is, it is caustic. Anthony Roberts, deputy director of the Carter County Emergency and Rescue Squad, said that the substance had a pH balance of 1, which, according to the pH scale, is consistent with the acidity level of battery acid.
For more on this story as it develops, check back to the STAR’s website.