Hunter United Methodist Church will celebrate its 135th anniversary Sunday, Nov. 11. The present church was constructed in 1877 on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Frazier. Prior to that the congregation was known as the Watauga Mission, which was established in 1850 and consisted of 177 members. In 1853, it became known as the Watauga Circuit. Much of the material in the sanctuary is original, including the stained glass windows. The bell that was used in the early days to alert the community of deceased members, fire alarms, etc. still rings today to let members know it is time for services to begin. The church is located at 722 Hwy. 91. Estel Williams is pastor.