December 4th , 2013 14:30 pm Leave a comment

Update: Wendy’s fire quelled, but store may stay closed

By

Authorities report that a fire that forced the evacuation of a Wendy’s restaurant has been snuffed out, but smoke damage may force the store to remain closed for repairs.

On Wednesday afternoon, the Elizabethton Fire Department responded to a fire call at the Wendy’s located at 415 Broad St. after a large amount of smoke filled the building.

According to EFD Fire Marshal Jack Buckles, a defective heating unit on the roof caused the fire.

“The heating unit malfunctioned and caught fire,” Buckles said. “It filled the restaurant with smoke rapidly. But everyone got out safely.”

Once crews localized the fire to the heating unit, Buckles said it took “about five minutes” to extinguish the fire.

Though the fire went out without much of a fight, Buckles said the building’s interior did sustain damage from the smoke.

“They have a lot of smoke damage,” Buckles said. “They have an in-house maintenance man they were contacting, but I would say they’ll be closed for a couple of days.”

REPORTED EARLIER:

Customers and staff have been evacuated and firefighters are working to contain a blaze that broke out at Wendy’s restaurant at 415 Broad St. in Elizabethton.

Photo by Brandon Hicks The Elizabethton Fire Department is working a fire that broke out at Wendy's restaurant at 415 Broad St. Initial reports suggest an air-conditioning unit on the roof may have started the  fire.

Photo by Brandon Hicks
The Elizabethton Fire Department is working a fire that broke out at Wendy’s restaurant at 415 Broad St. Initial reports suggest an air-conditioning unit on the roof may have started the fire.

The call went out at approximately 2:18 p.m. that heavy smoke was coming from the roof of the building. Dispatchers did, however, alert authorities that the building had been evacuated.

The Elizabethton Fire Department is on the scene trying to contain the fire, which scanner reports indicate has localized itself to the building’s roof. The Elizabethton Police Department and Carter County Emergency and Rescue Squad are also on the scene.

Check back here for more details on this story as they become available.

Heating unit malfunctioned caught fire.

Filled restaurant with smoke rapidly. A lot of smoke.

Everyone got out safely. About 10 gallons of water was used. Small fire around the rooftop unit.

About five minutes.

They have a lot of smoke damage. They had in-house maint they were contacting, ut I’d say they’ll be close for a couple days.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

share Facebook Twitter

Switch to our mobile site