Members of Col. John S. Mosby Camp No. 1409 Kingsport, Vaughn’s Brigade, Sons of Confederate Veterans, will return to Johnson City’s Oak Hill Cemetery on Oct. 27 to dedicate a memorial stone set at the base of a flag pole honoring the 60 Confederate veterans interred there.
A flag presentation ceremony dedicating the flag pole in honor of the Confederate veterans was held in February 2011. Receiving the First National Flag was President Katie Green Walker of Johnson City Chapter 754, United Daughters of the Confederacy. Presenting the flag was the late Lt. Commander Gene Bolling of Vaughn’s Brigade. The flag was the first known Confederate flag to fly in Oak Hill Cemetery, which has the largest known number of Confederate veterans of any cemetery in Washington County.
The United Daughters of the Confederacy, Chapter No. 754 of Johnson City, will be the host organization for the Oct. 27 dedication; the service is to be conducted per the UDC Ritual Book, and will begin at 10:30 a.m.
The cemetery is on Lamont Street, 1.2 miles east of the James H. Quillen Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Canopies will be provided if necessary. The public is invited to attend; those attending are asked to bring their own chairs..
For more information, call Katie Green Walker at 926-0680, Joe Adkins at 677-9306 or Bill Hicks at 542-6782.