A 3-year-old child was transported to Johnson City Medical Center on Wednesday afternoon after its stepmother discovered chemical burns on its stomach, arms, hands, legs, and feet.
Shortly after noon, officers with the Elizabethton Police Department responded to a 911 call from the Lynnridge apartment complex at 1275 Bluefield Ave. and found a puddle in front of both the child’s apartment and the adjacent apartment.
That puddle, according to the Carter County Emergency and Rescue Squad Hazmat Team, was sulfuric acid.
According to the EPD incident report, the child’s stepmother, Julie A. Hamaker, was inside the apartment when she heard the child scream from outside. Hamaker went outside to find the child near the puddle, and a broken glass bottle of Dr. Enuf, which authorities suspect contained the acid. Hamaker also noticed the child was bleeding.