Where we began…

The history of the Elizabethton Star traces back to the Mountaineer, established in 1864.

The Mountaineer was the first newspaper in Upper East Tennessee, changing hands and names numerous times over the years. On October 1, 1955, Frank Robinson was named Publisher.  He eventually purchased the paper in 1977. On October 1, 1980, his son, Charles Robinson was named Publisher.

Throughout the years, the Robinson’s made many improvements and advancements in the Star, staying on the cutting edge of technology. They were leaders in the community as well, committed to the betterment of Elizabethton and Carter County. Upon the untimely death of beloved citizen and Publisher Charles Robinson in 2004, Frank came out of retirement and returned as Publisher of the Star. His grandson, Nathan Goodwin, was named Publisher on July 1, 2008.  Frank Robinson passed away in March, 2011.

Advancements have continued to be made both in equipment, such as becoming a completely chemical free newspaper, and in digital offerings to reach a wider audience.  A recent redesign of the Star’s website, www.starhq.com, won 1st place in a state-wide competition of the Tennessee Press Association. On August 27th, 2012, Goodwin became Chairman of Elizabethton Newspapers, Inc. and Mark Stevens was named Publisher of the Star.

Despite much consolidation in the newspaper industry, the paper remains in the Robinson family to this day, and continues its dedication to providing the most community news available to the people of Carter and Johnson counties.

 

 

 

Switch to our mobile site